Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tarot 101 - Lesson 1 or The Beginning :-)

So I am now a little over a week behind in my Tarot class thanks in large part to the ever infuriating world wide web.  Or maybe it was just my browser.  Who knows?  Whatever the problem, it is gone, and I can now return to my studies....and my one reader.  Hi there, you!  ;-)

So this course is based on the book Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards by Kim Huggens.
For the purpose of this course I will be using the Morgan-Greer Tarot.

So homework assignment 1.2 - What can tarot do?
Asked to list what I personally think the tarot can do for someone, this is what I came up with.

Tarot can help you to see what the result of certain actions could be, help you to see where your current path is leading, point out emotions/feelings (toward another person or a given situation) that you had not yet realized or refused to acknowledge, show obstacles in your life that you had not noticed or ignored and it can help you to see how your past is affecting your present.

My goodness that was a mouthful!

1.3 - 'Mission Statement'

My ultimate goal here is to be able to answer inquiries intelligently.  Friends, family, and sometimes strangers have asked me what exactly the Tarot is and how it works.  I would like to enhance my own knowledge of it so that I can better answer these questions....without sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about.  And if, in the process of learning, I gain the ability to do a reading (for myself or others) without having to consult a book, then YAY! 

1.4 (yes I really did just make that up, sorta)

I shuffled through my deck for a few moments and realized that I kept stopping on the same cards.  Stopping and staring actually.  So I pulled them from the deck.

The first is VIII of Swords.


Looks horrible, right?  You have a woman, bound, gagged and blindfolded, in a valley of swords.  I see a woman stuck in a constant battle, be it internal or external, who can not see the end of her struggle.  This is a feeling I am very well acquainted with.  I know this woman, I feel for this woman, I am her.  So what, pray tell, does the book say this card means? The book says that this card represents a prisoner of the self.  Aha! Internal struggles.

The next card I was drawn to was Strength.

Beautiful picture.  You see a delicate woman calming the King of Beasts, or maybe wrestling it.  She looks so calm.  This is not just physical strength.  This is strength of will.
The book says this card represents a well balanced body and mind.

Now if I were to do a reading and these two cards came up, I would probably say that the person in question was currently struggling within themselves to achieve this balance of body and mind, the balance being the ultimate goal.  But the question still remains, how does one reach that goal?


2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you have more than one reader, but this "one reader" is waving hello! LOL

    I really enjoyed reading your entry and can especially relate to your take on the Eight of Swords. It seems no matter where she turns, she will be at the mercy of those blades.

    ReplyDelete